TOWN OF SHARON
HYDRANT FLUSHING AND MAINTENANCE
The Water Department will be flushing Tuesday, May 17, 2022, at 9:00 am in flushing Area 26.
Please see the maps attached below.
Area 1, Area 2, Area 3, Area 4, Area 5, Area 6, Area 7, Area 8, Area 9, Area 10, Area 11, Area 12, Area 13, Area 14, Area 15, Area 16, Area 17, Area 18, Area 19, Area 20, Area 21, Area 22, Area 23, Area 24, Area 25
The Town of Sharon Water Division will be continuing an ongoing hydrant flushing program beginning Monday, March 21, 2022, through Friday, June 17, 2022. The work will be scheduled Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 A.M. and 3:00 A.M. There will be some discoloration of water while this program is in process. This program is being carried out to maintain the water quality in Sharon.
You may encounter the following conditions during hydrant flushing operations:
- A temporary drop in water pressure to your residence or place of business.
- Rusty brown, or cloudy water. (These conditions will subside after the flushing is completed.)
After the flushing operation is completed:
- Open the cold water faucets and let the water flow until it is clear. Turn off the faucets.
- Because a reserve of clear hot water is stored in hot water tanks, do not open hot water faucets until after you are sure water from cold water faucets is clear. After you are sure water from the cold water faucet is clear, you can open the hot water faucets and let the water flow until it is clear if necessary. Turn off the faucets.
- When both hot and cold water is clear, the water is ready for use as normal.
- Check the faucet screens for trapped particles.
- Wash a load or two of dark-colored clothes first.
Helpful Hints to Remember:
- DO NOT wash white or light-colored laundry during the flushing operations.
- DO NOT dry clothes that have become stained.
- DO NOT use hot water until you are sure water from cold water faucets is clear.
The most efficient way to remove the discolored water is to use the cold water faucet of your bathtub or outside faucets. All residents are advised to check their water before doing their laundry. Special rust removing detergent will be made available upon request at the Sharon DPW at no charge to those who have accidentally washed a load and have stained clothes. If you have stained clothes, do not run your clothes through the drier – the stains will set and our treatment will not work.
The main purpose of conducting a flushing program is to improve water quality by purging the system of iron that has accumulated during the low water use winter period. A secondary benefit is to gather information about the distribution network in order to conduct proper management for years to come.
Contact the Sharon Water Department at 781-784-1525 EXT. 2315 for further information and https://www.townofsharon.net/home/news/hydrant-flushing-spring-2022 for specific flushing location updates.
We apologize for any inconvenience this program may cause.