Applying for a Residential Kitchen Permit
Mass.gov provides a guidance document Residential Kitchen Questions and Answers to assist individuals in complying with state regulations related to the production and sale of food made in a kitchen of a residence.
Generally, only Non-Potentially Hazardous foods may be prepared in a permitted Residential Kitchen and food produced under this permit may only be sold at retail by the producer of the food product. Types of food allowed include: baked goods (cakes and cookies), jams, jellies and roasted coffee beans.
If you wish to wholesale your food product to retail shops you will be required to obtain a wholesale food permit Wholesale Food Permit License.
If the food products you wish to produce are potentially hazardous, then a Commercial Kitchen Permit is required. These types of food include: cream-filled pastries, cheesecake, or custard, in addition to cut fruit and vegetables, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, pickled products, relishes, garlic in oil, and salad dressings. It may be easier to join a shared commercial kitchen rather than building out your own commercial kitchen. To discuss further, please contact the Health Department.
To apply for a Residential Retail Kitchen permit, complete the Residential Kitchen Application below and submit the application with the required permit fee of $50 to the Health Department. Upon receipt of your application an inspection of your home kitchen will be scheduled with our health inspector and a permit will be issued within two weeks of final inspection of your kitchen.
Forms and Applications
- Animal Permit Application Form
- Artificial Nails Application Form
- Bathing Beach permit application form
- Camp Application Form
- Catering - Annual Permit Application
- Catering - One Day Permit Application
- Dumpster Permit Application
- Farmers Market Permit Application
- Food Establishment Permit Application
- Frozen Dessert permit application
- Milk transport permit application
- Motel/Hotel permit application
- Mobile Truck - Food Service permit application form
- Portable Toilet Application Form
- Pasteurization of milk - application form
- Pool permit application form
- Residential Kitchen Permit Application Form
- Septic Hauler Application Form
- Tobacco Sales Permit