Finance Committee Meeting
Minutes – April 9, 2007
Town Hall, Lower Level Hearing Room – 7:30 P.M.
Members Present: Joel Alpert, Maria Anderson, Charles Goodman, Joel Lessard, Laura
Nelson, Gloria Rose (late), (Hamilton)
Absent: Brian Fitzgerald, Jonathan Hitter, Ira Miller, Edward Philips, Gregory
1. There was no quorum present at the beginning of the meeting.
2. The first item on the agenda was to discuss ARTICLE 24, Veterans’ Exemption.
3. Paul Bergeron, Veterans’ Agent, explained about this article including eligibility and that the amount was between $52,000 and $55,000.
4. There was discussion held on this article.
5. Joel Alpert announced that the Sharon Fire Department is having entrance exams on June 7. He also read a letter from Southeast Regional Vocational School regarding the Massachusetts Office of Education that will conduct an on-site review the week of April 9 which will be promoting school achievement. The Finance Committee was invited to attend a meeting with them on Wednesday, April 11, from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
6. There was much discussion on the Brickstone Development regarding their fiscal reports and how the analysis was done. Also discussed the Fire Department and Police Department and what Brickstone would provide.
7. There was now a quorum present. The next item on the agenda was discussion of the Warrant articles.
8. Joel Alpert announced that the Finance Committee can’t vote the Special Meeting Articles tonight until after the Planning Board hearing.
9. ARTICLE 1. Personnel By-law.
10. There was much discussion on this article. It was suggested that they get more information from Ben Puritz tomorrow night.
11. ARTICLE 2. Budget/Compensation of Elected Officers. It was reported that this article would be discussed tomorrow night when they get a final budget from the School Committee. The School Committee is reducing the override to $1.7 million.
12. ARTICLE 3. Finance Department/Finance Director. Voted indefinite postponement, 6-1-0, on 3-28-07.
13. There was some discussion on this article.
14. ARTICLE 4. Zoning By-law Posting Requirements. A new article.
15. There was some discussion on this article.
16. A MOTION was made by Joel Lessard and SECONDED by Maria Anderson to recommend approval of Article 4 with proposed clarification with specific strike out. We have requested Town Counsel to review that. We’re recommending acceptance of this article.
17. There was some discussion on the motion.
18. VOTED: 6-0-0.
19. The next item on the agenda was continued discussion of Brickstone with the developers present including John Kusmiersky, Marty Spagat, and John Connery, who prepared the financial reports, to answer questions.
20. John Kusmiersky reported that the Development Agreement will be made available. The Brickstone Group will attend the Finance Committee meeting of April 23 to provide more information including an income projection year by year for five years and what the town expenses will be during that time.
21. There was considerable discussion regarding how the development would be assessed and taxed. Also discussion on the information regarding their costing of the Fire Department.
22. Paul Lauenstein, Chairman of the Water Management Committee and Member of Planning Board spoke of his concerns regarding issues with respect to water and the possible need to join the MWRA. He was also concerned about fire readiness.
23. There was considerable discussion about these issues.
24. The meeting continued with discussion on Warrant articles.
25. ARTICLE 5. Town Meeting Debate Process. Another new article.
26. Joel Lessard stated that it’s being put in place because of what happened at the March meeting.
27. There was discussion held on this article.
28. There was a suggestion that the Moderator set the schedule of speakers and that the information presented isn’t the same information presented over and over again.
29. A MOTION was made by Charles Goodman and SECONDED by Maria Anderson to recommend acceptance of Article 5.
30. VOTED: 6-0-0.
31. ARTICLE 6. School Department. The walkway lights eliminated from Community Preservation Committee.
32. A MOTION was made by Charles Goodman and SECONDED by Maria Anderson to recommend acceptance of Article 6.
33. VOTED: 6-0-0.
34. ARTICLE 7. Department of Public Works. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
35. ARTICLE 8. Police Department. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
36. ARTICLE 9. Recreation Department. Voted, 4-2-0 on 3-28-07.
37. ARTICLE 10. Data Processing. Voted, 5-0-1 on 3-28-07.
38. ARTICLE 11. Civil Defense. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
39. ARTICLE 12. Fire Department. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
40. ARTICLE 13. CPC Projects Funding Recommendations.
41. There was no information on what they are proposing. There was no financial information.
42. A MOTION was made by Joel Lessard and SECONDED by Maria Anderson to make a recommendation at Town Meeting.
43. VOTED: 6-0-0.
44. ARTICLE 14. Finance Committee Members. Voted, 7-0-0 on 3-28-07.
45. ARTICLE 15. Act Upon Reports. Voted, 7-0-0 on 3-28-07.
46. ARTICLE 16. Funds – Sharon Friend School Fund/School Funds. Voted, 7-0-0 on 3-28-07.
47. ARTICLE 17. Stabilization Fund. Hold.
48. ARTICLE 18. Norfolk County Retirement. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
49. ARTICLE 19. Annual Audit. Voted, 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
50. ARTICLE 20. Unemployment. Voted 6-0-0 on 3-28-07.
51. ARTICLE 21. Transfer Borrowed Funds. Voted, 5-1-0 on 3-28-07.
52. ARTICLE 22. Community Preservation Committee Enlargement.
53. Laura Nelson will be attending the CPC meeting on April 12 and will ask that there be a Finance Committee representative or Finance Committee member on the Community Preservation Committee.
54. A MOTION was made by Joel Lessard and SECONDED by Gloria Rose to make a recommendation on Article 22 at Town Meeting.
55. VOTED: 6-0-0.
56. ARTICLE 23. Naming of Community Center. Voted, 5-1-0 on 3-28-07.
57. ARTICLE 24. Veterans’ Exemption.
58. A MOTION was made by Charles Goodman and SECONDED by Maria Anderson to recommend acceptance of Article 24.
59. There was some discussion on this motion.
60. VOTED: 6-0-0.
61. The next meeting will be April 10.
62. It was MOVED and SECONDED to adjourn.
63. VOTED: 6-0-0.
64. The meeting was adjourned at 10 p.m.